Frequently Asked Questions


These are some of our most frequently asked questions.

If you have additional questions, call us.

Raboin & Francis FAQs

  • If you’ve been hurt, seek immediate medical attention. You don’t need a referral.
  • It is entirely your choice of what type of health care provider to see.
  • Notify your auto-insurance company of the accident.
  • Don’t give any written or recorded statements (including phone interviews and applications for benefits or other forms) to any insurance company until speaking to an attorney.
  • Contact an experienced personal injury attorney.
  • Keep our Car Accident Checklist accessible in your vehicle.
  • Every case is different and this website is not a substitute for individual legal advice. An attorney will explain to you in greater detail your rights and potential benefits including any time limits you may have to pursue your case.
  • An early investigation of your case will help you receive fair compensation later.
  • The insurance representative investigating your case, (while possibly friendly), is not on your side. Insurance companies operate for a profit so they will try to pay as little as possible.
  • Your attorney, on the other hand, is on your side. An experienced personal injury attorney knows the fair value of your case. His or her ability to take your case to trial, if necessary, is powerful leverage in dealing with the insurance company. An attorney can take action on your behalf if your insurance company unfairly threatens to cut off payments for medical expenses and other benefits.
  • Settling your claim involves understanding the sometimes complicated interaction of different types of insurance benefits, subrogation interests, specific and general releases, and numerous other legal aspects that vary by case. If you do not understand all documents you sign, you may inadvertently waive potential benefits.
What to expect at your first visit with John Raboin or Michelle Francis.

(Please pause this video before activating another one)

Generally in Minnesota, your own auto-insurance company pays 100% of your accident-related medical bills, up to your medical payments policy limits (usually $20,000), no matter who caused your accident. This is called No-Fault Insurance. Other No-Fault Insurance benefits include:
  • Mileage reimbursement for trips to your doctor.
  • 85% of your lost wages up to a maximum of $250 per week.
  • Reimbursement for money you must pay others to perform household tasks you ordinarily would be able to perform.

(Please pause this video before activating another one)

Watch the video below as John Raboin explains the processes and types of damages typically considered after an accident.
(Please pause this video before activating another one)

Generally, if you were not more than 50 percent at fault in causing your injury, you are entitled to seek liability compensation fro the person(s) at fault (which their insurance typically pays). This "liability" compensation includes payment for:
  1. Your physical and emotional pain and suffering.
  2. Your loss of ability to perform the tasks you could do before the accident.
  3. Your loss of ability to enjoy the same lifestyle as before the accident.
  4. Any past or future loss of earnings not paid by No-Fault Insurance.
  5. Any past or future medical and other accident-related expenses not paid by No-Fault Insurance.
For auto accident cases in Minnesota, in order to obtain "liability" compensation, you eventually must also meet one of these "threshold" requirements:
  • $4,000 incurred medical bills, excluding the cost of diagnostic tests;
  • 60 days (not necessarily consecutive) of total disability;
  • A permanent injury;
  • Physical disfigurement (scar).

Call The Raboin & Francis Law office at 218-828-9211 for a prompt, no obligation, appointment!